Sunday 18 December 2016

Calling the Walt Disney World Resort is Worthwhile

Usually, I book travel online if at all possible.  I can figure out what the best deal is, and can easily find the terms of the reservation.  Sometimes, you even get a better deal than calling the hotel directly.  But in the case of Walt Disney World, I decided to telephone, because I had a few questions and clarifications, and was sure that I would get very good customer service.  In fact, the phone call and the service actually exceeded my expectations.  It is rare to end a phone call having spent hundreds of dollars, and be as happy as I was.  This blog post details my experience, and will hopefully help those that want to book over the phone rather than on Walt Disney World's website.

I actually tried the 1-407-WDISNEY number first.  But when it answered, "Thank you for calling Disney Parks," I decided to hang up and look up the direct WDW Resort phone number.  There are actually a variety of different numbers for different queries that you may have.  Just Google Walt Disney World phone number to find the page that lists the numbers.  I recently discovered that  there is actually a toll free number (for Canada and the US at least) at 1-888-939-7376.  So from now on I can call as many times as needed without concern for cost.

The first thing that the automated system asks you (in a very pleasant voice by the way) is to state why you are calling.  Then from that, they ask you a series of questions to see if are a previous customer or not, and have an account.  Since I have an account with My Disney Experience, they recognized my email address and home address. Then, they put you through to a live person, and the Cast Member whom I spoke with (whose name unfortunately escapes me) gave me exceptional service.  He answered all my questions, clarified a few points for me, and even asked me why we had chosen Port Orleans French Quarter.  He said that the information that I had based my decision on was all correct, and that specifically POFQ is a smaller resort that is more compact, whereas its sister resort, Riverside is much larger and very spread out.  He also said that it was actually only a short walk to the dock for the boat ride from Riverside to Disney Springs.

Here are some important things that I learned or confirmed from the conversation.  When you book a room only reservation, the deposit is the first night's rate, with the balance due on arrival at the resort, not 30 days ahead as with a package.  You may cancel and receive your deposit back up to five days before arrival.  Changes can be made even up to the date of arrival, but you may have to pay for increased room rates.  If a deal comes along for discounted rooms, you can always call in and get the deal if it is still available, or switch to another available resort for the discount.  The room only reservation includes Magicbands which can be ordered for colour and name engraving, for receipt on arrival at the resort.  He suggested ordering at least 30 days ahead.  By connecting your reservation confirmation number to the My Disney Experience app or website, you can make all dining reservations up to 180 days from your day of arrival, not just 180 days in advance of each day you are there individually.  The 60 days advance selection of Fastpasses only applies once you have purchased a park ticket.



After speaking with the Cast Member, and having all my questions and concerns addressed, I was asked to take a survey about the service that I received during the call.  I was more than happy to oblige, and my ratings on the survey reflected both how well that I was treated by the Cast Member, and my overall satisfaction.  I was wished a magical day, and I really felt that way afterwards.  I won't hesitate to call back if the need arises.

To read more Disney World planning tips blog posts, click here.

For blog updates and more planning information, please like my Facebook page, Top 10 Planning Questions for Walt Disney World,

1 comment: